2013 Game Reports


Oct 12th – 14th  North Shore Girls Tournament


 Both the U13 Intake (born 2001) Girls and the U17 (born 1997) Girls were successful in their pursuit of Gold on the weekend at the North Shore Tournament in Vancouver.  With four games in 3 days it was a challenging weekend.  Congratulations to both of these teams and their coaches!

The U13 Intake girls were entered in the U14/15 Gold level division. Under blue skies and fabulous weather throughout the Holiday weekend, the girls were victorious in all four of their games.

The first game saw the U13 TOFC defeat the U14 North Shore Vipers 2-0, followed by a 5- 1 victory later that same day over the U14 Whistler Avalanche. The second day of the tournament gave the young TOFC squad their third win with a 4-3 decision over the U15 North Shore Sidewinders. On the final day an exciting 2-1 win over the U14 North Shore Flames clinched the gold medal for the U13 TOFC team, who went undefeated in the tournament.
pic: KE –  Kelowna, V – Vernon,  KA – Kamloops, SA – Salmon Arm
Bottom row (L to R):
Ava Bakala (KE), Georgia Lawerence (KE), Kyleigh Oloriz (KE), Lexi Kinnear (W.KE), Hannah Tarzwell (SA), Stefanie Young (KE), Charlie Kampan (W.KE),  Olivia McLennan (Vernon)
Back row (L to R):
Sammi Krupka (KE), Piper Conner (KA), Katie Smith (W.KE), Yvonne Manwaring (KA), Kristen Moon (KE), Sam Gerelle (KE), Emily Metz (KE), Molly McLeod (KA) 
Coach:  Brian Dewar
Asst. Coach: Henk Kampman

U13 Intake Girls

The U17 girls took part in the U18 Division.   The girls opened the tournament with a 1 -1 tie against Coquitlam Metro Ford with the solo TOFC goal coming on a great strike from distance from Nikki Manwaring (Kamloops).
On Sunday, they delivered two stellar performances over North Shore (4-1) & Port Coquitlam (3-0).  An excellent showing with a hat trick from Nikki Manwaring and a solo strike from Hannah Love (Vernon) against North Shore.  Goals from Aryana Jacura (Vernon), Jaedyn Penkala (PK) (Kelowna) and Moraya Harrison (Kamloops) against Port Coquitlam sealed that win.
The final on Monday was another match against the North Shore Girls who were determined to put up a better performance than their previous 4-1 loss to TOFC.  The TOFC girls played well, creating better chances overall and were duly rewarded with a solo goal off a Nikki Manwaring corner which deflected off a North Shore Defender and into the back of the net.  TOFC came close to extending their lead but were denied by a spectacular last ditch save by the North Shore goalie when she managed to get a foot on a shot from Moraya Harrison (Kamloops) which looked certain to hit the back of the net.  A deserved victory and a great weekend of soccer for the TOFC 1997 Girls!
pic:   KE –  Kelowna, V – Vernon,  KA – Kamloops
Back row from left to right:
 Becca Kletke (KE), Sarah Huber (V), Teigan Moore (V), Moraya Harrison (KA), Lindsay Lalach (KE), Erin Graham (KE), Jaedyn Penkala (KE), Kiana Ajamzadeh (KE), Lizzy Raye (KE)
Front row left to right:
 Maddy Laranjo (V), Hannah Love (V), Nikki Manwaring (KA), Joella Koblischke (Lake Country), Aryana Jacura (V), Rachel McMillan (KE)

U17 Girls

Sept 28th/29th

Team Report for: U13Boys
Game Date: Sept 29th, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Boys vs. Mountain United U13 Boys
Final Score: TOFC (2)    Mountain United (1)
Game Highlights:
Perseverance paid off for the U13 boys. On Sunday, the TOFC boys came out with a much needed and well deserved win over a strong Mountain United club. TOFC fell behind midway through the 1st half on an error in the back which resulted in a 1-0 Mountain lead.  The boys battled back and tied it just as the half came to a close. A strong run down the right side from Mitch Morgan (Lake Country) resulted in a cross to the far post that Connor Yendley (Kelowna) slotted home past the fallen keeper. The 2nd half saw the boys continue with their determined play that brought frustration to their opponent. With about 15 minutes to play a Mtn Utd player was sent off, leaving the door open for an exciting finish. Numerous rushes by Kazuki Comley (Vernon) wore down the Mountain defenders and set up the heroics. With less than 1 minute to play in injury time a perfectly placed corner kick from Matt Barcelona (Kelowna) found the head of captain Owen Miller (Vernon) and the victory was sealed. Evan Scholes (Kelowna) recorded the 1st victory of  the season for the 2nd year squad.  Standout performances by many, but this will go down as a complete team performance. Well done boys…

Team Report for: U13 Intake Girls
1st Game Date: Sept 28th, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Girls vs. Magnuson Ford Mariners U13 Intake Girls
Final Score: TOFC (0)    MFM (4)
Final Score:   4-0 win for Magnuson Ford Mariners
The TOFC U13 Intake Girls had a disappointing game on Saturday afternoon suffering their 2nd loss of the season.  The first goal from Magnuson Ford Mariners came out of the box very quickly and was chipped over the TOFC goalie, Charlie Kampman (W.Kelowna). The Magnuson Ford girls had great control of the ball scoring their second goal 30 minutes into the game.  The first half ended with a 2-0 lead for the Mariners.

TOFC came out ready to get their game on in the 2nd half but the Mariners planted a hard shot successfully booting the ball over the defenders and goalie, Kyliegh Oloriz (Kelowna) to secure their third goal one minute into the 2nd half.  The TOFC girls tried to recover and midfielder, Stefanie Young (Kelowna), had a great volley that hit the cross bar.  The final goal for the Mariners came on an interception resulting in a beautiful goal.
The game ended Mariners 4, TOFC 0 .


2nd Game Date: Sept 29th, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Girls vs. Mountain United U13 Intake Girls
Final Score: TOFC (3)    Mountain United (2)
Game Highlights:
It was a busy weekend for the TOFC U13 Intake girls. After coming off a loss the previous day, they faced the Mountain FC team for a Sunday morning match-up. Mountain FC started the game with good pressure and the TOFC keeper Kyleigh Orloriz (Kelowna) had to be sharp. Yvonne Manwaring (Kamloops) broke past the Mountain defenders on the left side sending a cross through to Olivia Mcleod (Vernon) for the 1st goal of the game at the 18 minute mark. Just minutes later, Yvonne Manwaring (Kamloops) scored the 2nd goal after the ball skidded past the Mountain defender on the rain soaked turf sending her in for a solo effort goal. The TOFC team wasn’t done as Manwaring added her 2nd of the match after receiving a nice pass from her defender closing out the half at 3 – 0.

Mountain started the 2nd half with lots of pressure on the TOFC squad. They finally found the back of the net 5 min. in on a rebound off the post.  With continued pressure, the Mountain midfielder received a nice pass from her winger and made no mistake with a nice shot from 20 yards out, bringing her squad to within one goal. TOFC had several good scoring chances of their own, hitting the cross-bar once and the goal post twice, applying solid effort until the end of the match.  The TOFC squad held on for a 3 to 2 victory over their Lower Mainland competitors.

Team Report for: U14 Boys
1st Game Date: Sept 28th, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Magnuson Ford Mariners U14 Boys
Final Score: TOFC (2)    MFM (0)
Game Highlights:
TOFC U14 Boys started its double-header weekend with an exciting win against Magnuson Ford Mariners FC.  Sam McDonald (Kelowna) scored both goals in the 1st half.   His opening goal was a great header resulting from a scramble in front of Magnuson’s net and his 2nd came as a result of a penalty kick.  The Mariners came in hard in the 2nd half only to be shut down by an effective defensive line, giving TOFC goalie, Taitum MacAulay (Vernon) a clean sheet.

2nd Game Date: Sept 29th, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Mountain United U14 Boys
Final Score: TOFC (1)    Mountain United (1)
Game Highlights:
Mountain came out strong surprising the TOFC defense with a quick goal early in the half. Later TOFC’s Graeme Lewis (Kelowna) received the ball from Sem Kampman’s (W. Kelowna) free kick flying past the Mountain defense to tie the game just before the 1st half ended.  Mountain came out very aggressively in the 2nd half only to be denied by TOFC’s strong defensive play.

Sept 21st/22nd

Team Report for: U13 Intake Boys
Game Date: Sept 21st, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Boys vs. Fusion FC U13 Intake Boys
Final Score: TOFC (1)    Fusion FC (0)
Game Highlights:
The TOFC U13 Intake boys came away with their second win of the season this past weekend against a strong Fusion FC squad.  Fusion kept TOFC’s goal keeper Isaac Boehmer (OK Falls) busy throughout the game but could not find the back of the net.  The lone goal of the game came thirty minutes into the first half when Gregor Smith (Kelowna) scored a goal from Edvin Holok’s (Kelowna) cross.  Stuart Klenner (Kamloops) played a strong defensive game for TOFC and helped to keep Fusion off the scoreboard.
Goal scorer:
30.30    Gregor Smith

Team Report for: U13 Intake Girls
Game Date: Sept 22nd, 2013 at the Mission Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Girlss vs. Fusion FC U13 Intake Girls
Final Score: TOFC (1)    Fusion FC (3)
Game Highlights:
In their third game of the fall season, the TOFC girls fought hard but could not hold back the strong attacks from Fusion FC.  13 minutes into the game, Fusion scored the first goal. The attacker was quick with the ball beating the TOFC defense and the TOFC goalie Kylie Oritz (Kelowna) as she finished with a decisive kick to the top corner of the net.  The 1st half ended with a 1-0 lead for Fusion.
The TOFC girls came on strong in the 2nd half but could not hold back the athletic Fusion strikers.  The Fusion team played well, passing and controlling the ball.  Their next goal came 16 minutes into the 2nd half as they cleared the ball over the center back 18 yard line to score.  Try as they might, TOFC could not hold them.  A short time later, their striker skillfully chipped it over the head of TOFC goalie, Charlie Kempman (W. Kelowna) to rack up their third goal.
Determined to score the TOFC girls rallied and came back fighting.  TOFC striker Yvonne Manwaring (Kamloops) dribbled around the Fusion defensive line to score the first goal for TOFC with 6 minutes remaining in the game.  TOFC’s mid fielders and strikers worked every opportunity in an effort to tie up the score but just could not connect.  The game ended in a 3-1 loss for TOFC.

Sept 14th/15th

Team Report for: U13 Intake Boys
Game Date: Sept 14th, 2013 at the Rutland Sports Fields, Kelowna
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Boys vs. Coastal FC U13 Intake Boys
Final Score: TOFC (4)    CFC (0)
Game Highlights:

The TOFC U13 Intake boys (2001s) came away with a resounding 4-0 win against Coastal Football Club in BC Soccer Premier League action this weekend.  Play in the first half was even, with neither team able to capitalize on their opportunities.  Shawn Kostiuk (W. Kelowna) opened the scoring from a corner kick 2 minutes into the second half, followed ten minutes later by Edvin Holok (Kelowna) who broke free and found the back of the net.  The TOFC boys continued their domination with a third goal by Lucas Hicklin (Kelowna) in the 56th minute and a final goal scored by Adrian Delgado (Kelowna) in the last minutes of the game.  Keeper Isaac Boehmer (OK Falls) notched his first shut-out victory of the year after replacing Jordan Thorsen (Kelowna) who went down early in the game with an upper body injury.
Goal scorers:
37.02    Shawn Kostiuk
45.05    Edvin Holok
56.01    Lucas Hicklin
70.00    Adrian Delgado

Team Report for: U13 Intake Girls
Game Date: Sept 15th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Girls vs. Coastal FC U13 Intake Girls
Final Score: TOFC (1)    Surrey United (1)
Game Highlights:

It was another day of action packed soccer for the TOFC U13G intake as they took on Coastal FC.
The match was well balanced with equal opportunities for both teams.  The scoring opened with a solid effort by TOFC forward Yvonne Manwaring (Kamloops), who shot from 25 yds out, over the Coastal keepers’  head into the top corner at the 13 minute mark of the game.  Coastal FC replied with the equalizer at the 27 min mark of the 1st half.  The initial shot was saved by the TOFC keeper, Charlie Kampman (W. Kelowna), however the rebound eluded her only to be touched in off the door step by a charge from Coastal FC.  A penalty kick for Coastal at the 32 minute mark caused a tense moment for TOFC, but they missed the opportunity and the half ended in a 1-1 tie.

The second half saw a lot of back and forth action with several good scoring attempts by the home TOFC squad.  The Coastal FC keeper played strong and was able to stop several good breakaway scoring attempts by the surging TOFC forwards.  The day was hot and both teams worked hard but neither was able to get the edge.  The match ended in a 1-1 tie.

Sept 8th

Team Report for: U13 Intake Girls
Game Date: Sept 8th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Intake Girls vs. Surrey United U13 Intake Girls
Final Score: TOFC (2)    Surrey United (2)
Game Highlights:
This was the first league game for the TOFC U13 Intake Girls team.  The “Intake” team joins the club in the fall in preparation for the full 2014 season when they become the U13 squad. The skilled Surrey United girls proved to be a tough opponent.  The first goal was scored by Surrey approximately 19 minutes into the game when their offense deflected the ball from the 18 yard line past the reach of Kyleigh Oloriz (Kelowna), the TOFC goalie.  The first half ended with a 1-0 lead for Surrey United.

TOFC girls came back strong in the 2nd half putting a lot of pressure on Surrey. Ten minutes into the second half, Stefanie Young (Kelowna) sent a through ball to Yvonne Manwaring (Kamloops) who took the ball from the half on a breakaway and skillfully dribbled left around the goalie, quickly finding the back of the net to tie up the game.  Sixteen minutes later, on a free kick from the Surrey corner,  Stephanie Young sent the ball into the penalty area. It was cleared by a Surrey defender only to have Sam Gerelle (Kelowna) return the ball back to Yvonne Manwaring who spun and scored TOFCs’ 2nd goal.

Surrey was not about to give up. They came back hard and with approximately 4 minutes remaining in the game,  Surrey dribbled quickly by two of TOFCs’ defenders then skillfully beat the long reach of the  TOFC Keeper, Charlie Kampman (West Kelowna), scoring their 2nd goal to even up the match. Although it was the first game of the season, it was a hard fought battle which ended in a 2-2 tie.

Team Report for: U16/17 Girls
Game Date: Sept 8th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U16/17 Girls vs. Surrey United U16/17 Girls
Final Score: TOFC (2)    Surrey United (3)
Game Highlights:

TOFC’s 97 Girls opened phase 2 of their BCSPL season with a tough match up against Surrey Utd.
It was important for TOFC to make a positive start and not to concede any early goals against a Surrey Utd team that always has lots of goal threat and has scored early on TOFC in the past.  After an evenly contested opening 16 minutes TOFC made the breakthrough on a goal when a perfectly executed through ball by Nikki Mainwaring (Kamloops) allowed Emma Johnson (Kelowna) to outsprint the Surrey Utd defence, calmly round the goalkeeper and slide the ball into the back of the net.  The remainder of the first half was evenly matched with some weak chances for both teams but the score at half would remain 1-0 TOFC.
Going into the second half TOFC felt a 2nd goal would be huge in their efforts to win this match but after going close with a couple of half chances Surrey Utd began to push on creating their own opportunities.  TOFC goalkeeper Joella Koblischke (Lake Country) made a number of confident stops which kept Surrey Utd off the board until the 60th minute when Surrey got the goal that their play had been threatening.
The remainder of the game was fiercely competitive.  Surrey scored a 2nd goal in the 70th minute to take the lead.   TOFC weren’t done yet and came storming back 2 minutes later with a great solo effort down the right when again Emma Johnson (Kelowna) outpaced the Surrey backline and finished with a shot across the goalie low into the corner.
Unfortunately for TOFC they would be the victims of the same ill fate as Surrey Utd, that being conceding a goal so soon after scoring one of their own. Within 4 minutes Surrey Utd exploited some space out wide and scored on a ball into the box to make the final result 3-2 for Surrey Utd.

Overall a very pleasing performance from this group of girls which is currently in a rebuilding phase with 8 new players – Emma Johnson (Kelowna), Teigan Moore (Coldstream), AJ Jacura (Vernon), Sarah Huber (Vernon), Lindsay Lalach (Kelowna), Lizzy Raye (Kelowna), Kianna Adjamzadeh (Kelowna) & Hannah Love (Vernon) joining the returning players from last spring.

 Photos courtesy of Kelvin Harrison

June 15 – 16th 2013 Results

Both the U13 Girls and the U14 Boys teams have qualified for the league playoffs starting this weekend at the coast. Congratulations to both of these teams on well-deserved playoff berths!

The TOFC Girls U13 team entered the final weekend of league play out of the top 4 teams, but with a chance to move up to 4th and secure the final playoff spot. Through hard work, perseverance and a “no quit” team attitude, the girls pulled through securing the 4th and final playoff spot. They were in for a tough match with league-leading Coastal FC in the first game of their double header weekend. Despite playing a strong game, they fell 3-0 to the Coastal squad. In the second game they were matched up against Fusion FC. With both teams battling for the final playoff spot, this game was a must-win game for both teams and both teams came out hard. The TOFC squad was the first to score, going up 1-0 and then 2-0 on goals by Savanna Yamamoto and Payton Brisco . Fusion battled back cutting the deficit to 2-1. The winning goal from TOFC came from Savanna Yamamoto , with a final score of 3-2 for the TOFC win. TOFC now prepares to play the semi-final game this weekend in Surrey. Matched up again with the 1st place Coastal Squad, TOFC will aim to pull off the upset win to move to the Championship Game the weekend of June 29th.

Pic 1: TOFC U13 Girls Celebrate Victory
In picture – left to right – Payton Briso (#15) Peachland, Teaghan Wallace (West Kelowna) and Makenna Corston (Salmon Arm), Grace Miller (Kamloops), Michaela Jacobsen (West Kelowna), Paetyn Freeze (Kamloops) and Britney Young (Penticton):

Pic 2: Savanna Yamamoto (Cawston)

The U14 Boys faced Coastal FC on Sunday in Surrey after a tough game against Fusion FC the previous day which ended in a tie. TOFC needed a win or a tie on this day to keep their playoff hopes alive. The game was intense. Both teams created multiple scoring chances and a great save by keeper Carl Vandekraats kept the game tied. It wasn’t until the 30′ that Mitch Morgan (Winfield) broke down the far right side of the field landing a solid strike to put TOFC ahead. Shortly thereafter, Mitch Morgan deflected a sure goal when his well-executed defensive header cleared the ball. Ending the half, Coastal crossed the ball and their offence connected, successfully finding the back of the net. It was 1 – 1.
Play continued in the 2nd half with both teams fighting hard for the win. 5 min in, Coastal got the go ahead goal. It was a sea saw battle until the 18 min mark, when Grayson Perrier (Penticton) received the ball inside the Coastal 3rd and drove the ball into the top corner to tie the score. Both teams continued to pressure, however the game ended at 2-2. The tie moved TOFC into the 4th spot in the playoffs. Their first semi-final game is against Surrey on June23rd.

June 9th 2013 Results

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: June 9th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Magnuson Ford Mariners FC U18 Boys
Final Score: TOFC (4) MFM FC (3)

The TOFC U17/18 boys defeated MFM FC (Abbotsford) 4 to 3 on Sunday in Rutland. Abbotsford came out flying and was awarded a corner kick 20 seconds into the game. Abbotsford dominated for the first ten minutes of the game scoring the opener at eight minutes. However, TOFC was quick to strike back. Attacking mid-fielder Cole Kingzett’s (Penticton) hard shot was rebounded to winger Walker Shanks (West Kelowna) whose left foot sent the ball into the back of the net. At the mid-way mark of the first half an Abbotsford player was sent off the pitch as he was given a red card for stepping on the opponent’s head. The score remained 1 to 1 at half time.
2nd half:
Six minutes into the second half Abbotsford scored their second goal of the game as their striker broke through TOFC’s back line. Then at sixty one minutes, Shanks sent the ball to Tyler Shalansky (Kelowna) on an overlapping run down the wing; Shalansky was pulled down in the box and Cole Kingzett scored on the ensuing penalty kick. At seventy-five minutes, TOFC went up 3 to 2 when Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) served a perfect out swinging corner kick into the box where Ben McDonald headed the ball in. TOFC made it 4 to 2 when George Smalldridge (West Kelowna) made a great individual run and shot an amazing ball to beat the Abbotsford keeper. The visitors made it interesting with eight minutes to go in the game. An indirect free kick was given to Abbotsford at the top of the box as a TOFC player passed the ball back to his keeper. Abbotsford mistakenly took a direct kick which was stopped at the goal line by the hand of a TOFC player. Abbotsford scored on the penalty kick which was awarded for the hand ball. But in the end, TOFC kept their lead and won the game 4 to 3.

June 1st – 2nd 2013 Results

Team Report for: U13 Girls
Game Date: June 1st, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Girls vs. Surrey SC U13 Girls
Final Score: TOFC (1) Surrey SC (3)
1st Game Highlights:

The TOFC U13 girls recorded one win and one loss in a double header weekend in Kamloops over the weekend. In the first game against Surrey United, although TOFC was able to mount some sustained pressure, Surrey’s effective counter-attacking led to an early 2-0 deficit. Grace Miller (Kamloops) brought TOFC within one goal with a perfectly placed ball in the low corner on a penalty kick late in the first half. The second half saw TOFC again applying some pressure but unable to convert any chances. Final score was Surrey United 3, TOFC 1.
pic: facing: Michaela Jacobsen, #12: Emma VanDemark

Game Date: June 2nd, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Girls vs. Coquitlam Metro Ford U13 Girls
Final Score: TOFC (4) CMF SC (0)
2nd Game Highlights:

In the second game, TOFC played Coquitlam, winning with a score of 4-0. The first half had TOFC pressuring often with the first goal coming from midfielder Teaghan Wallace (West Kelowna) after a well-timed run. Later in the first half with TOFC continuing to press, forward Britney Young (Penticton) was fouled in Coquitlam’s 18 yard box. The resulting penalty kick was taken by Tatum Tataryn, who made no mistake in putting the ball in the back of the net. In the second half, both TOFC goals came from newcomer Savanna Yamamoto (Cawston). Playing on permit for the weekend from her home club in Keremeos, Savanna showed she has premier league calibre finishing skills with her two goal effort. The TOFC conclude regular season play with another double header weekend in the Lower Mainland June 15/16 with games against Coastal FC and Fusion FC.

Team Report for: U14 Girls
Game Date: June 1st, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Girls vs. Surrey SC U14 Girls
Final Score: TOFC (2) Surrey SC (1)

Game Date: June 2nd, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Girls vs. Coquitlam Metro Ford U14 Girls
Final Score: TOFC (0) CMF SC (0)

The TOFC U14 girls had a successful weekend in Kamloops, coming away with a win and a draw. Saturday saw the girls hand a surprised Surrey FC team their first loss in the Okanagan. The game was evenly matched with strong attempts on both ends of the field. Captain Erica Lambert scored the game’s opener on a free kick, twenty-four minutes into the second half. She followed this with a goal on a penalty kick which was answered with one Surrey goal in the dying minutes of the game. The gamed finished with a 2-1 win for TOFC. The girls continued their strong play into Sunday as they faced a physical Coquitlam Metro Ford. The teams played a hard fought game and both keepers were kept busy however neither team were able to capitalize on their opportunities.

Team Report for: U14 Boys
Game Date: June 1st, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Coquitlam Metro Ford SC
Final Score: TOFC (0) Coquitlam (2)

TOFC faced the #1 team of the league on this day and with-in the 1st minute of the half Jarred Quibell received a pass to put him in alone on the goal keeper, however was unable to capitalize. The play from the central midfield and flank seemed to dominate the play, with Quinn Large playing a strong game defensively to help shut down Coquitlam’s attack, along with Nick Banmen doing his part with strong work ethic. At the 18 minute mark, TOFC goal keeper Carl made a great save to keep the score even. At the 24th minute there was a scramble in the box with the ball threatening to cross the goal mouth; however Alec Stewart, who had a strong game at full back, was able to clear the ball to safety. At the 26th minute Coquitlam were able to score a beautiful goal, with a one-time strike just inside the box, to the upper left corner of the net, which closed out the half with Coquitlam leading 1-0.
2nd Half:
The second half continued with Coquitlam holding the higher percentage of possession. TOFC had a free kick at the 15 minute mark which created a scramble in the box; however they were unable to capitalize. As the game progressed, both teams created chances and the strong defensive play of Bill Yeomans & Nick Banmen was in vain as TOFC were not able to create an attack despite their efforts in the central midfield. Sem Kampman was outstanding on the day at center back, by helping to shut down the many chances that were created by Coquitlam. At the 31st minute, Coquitlam were able to put the game away with a cross from the flank into the box that was redirected in the net, to go ahead and finish the game with a 2-0 victory.

Game Date: June 2nd, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Surrey United
Final Score: TOFC (1) Surrey United (1)

Right from the whistle this game had the intensity of a classic. The battles were many and at the 8 minute mark Turner Woodruff made a great slide tackle to shut down an attack from the flank. Bill Yeomans play in the central midfield put Surrey on the alert with his slide and block tackles to win possession for TOFC. Quinn large filling in for an injured Sam Macdonald (center back) met the challenge with outstanding play and made a great tackle in the box to shut down a Surrey attacker who was sent in behind the defence. The half ended 0-0
2nd Half:
The play continued right where it had left off in the 1st half with high intensity. 10 minutes in Surrey had a great chance by hitting the post and 2 minutes later hitting the crossbar. At the 14 minute mark Conner Glennon was able to get the go ahead goal for TOFC off a free kick with a great strike. Shortly after that Tatum McCauley made a fantastic save by diving and punching the ball to safety with a double fisted punch. At the 28 minute mark Surrey pressured and was able to capitalize with a goal to bring the score even at 1-1. In the last minute of the game Tatum made another great save to keep Surrey from going ahead which resulted in the game ending at 1 apiece.

U15 Boys – Pics courtesy of Mike Klymchyk

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: June 1st, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Surrey SC U18 Boys
Final Score: TOFC (1) Surrey SC (2)

The TOFC U17/18 boys lost to Surrey United SC at MacArthur Island Park in Kamloops on Saturday. Surrey opened with a quick attack and was awarded a corner kick thirty seconds into the match. TOFC showed, however, that they were ready to play and countered well. At seven minutes, outside midfielder Nathan Persoon (Kelowna) placed a perfect cross to Matt Fielding (Kelowna) whose header just missed the net. And at fifteen minutes, the “home” side scored the game’s first goal. Midfielder Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) won the ball on his right wing and passed into the middle for striker Cole Kingzett (Penticton). After a soft first touch, Kingzett switched the ball to the left side where Nathan Persoon ran and finished with a shot off the back post. TOFC might have gone up two to nil when at forty one minutes, centre-back Finlay McPhie (Vernon) took a free kick from forty yards and dropped the ball into the six yard box.
2nd half:
Three minutes into the second half, left back Walker Shanks (West Kelowna) made a strong run down his line and passed the ball to Cole Kingzett who was fouled as he ran toward the box. Nathan Persoon’s free kick dropped just over the net. At sixty five minutes, Surrey finally scored on their tenth corner kick of the game and the score was 1-1. TOFC countered and scored two minutes later, but the goal was ruled offside. Then at sixty eight minutes Surrey scored the game winner as a result of a TOFC defensive breakdown. Midfielder Tyler Shalansky (Kelowna), who returned to play after suffering from a concussion in a previous game, showed great courage and grit when he came on as a substitute. TOFC keeper Victor Gouchee (Vernon) was outstanding throughout the match. All in all the TOFC boys played a strong game and if not for a short let down in the second half, they might have earned a victory.

May 11th – 12th 2013 Results

Team Report for: U18 Boys
Game Date: May 12th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Fusion FC U18 Boys
Final Score: TOFC 2 VIW 2
The TOFC U17/18 boys tied Fusion FC 2 – 2 on Sunday at Rutland Sports Fields. The visitors scored an early goal eight minutes into the game as the home side struggled to maintain possession and mid-field gaps led to strong Fusion runs down both flanks. After keeper Victor Gouchee (Vernon) made a great save from a hard strike generated by one of these runs, the TOFC back line failed to clear the rebounded ball from danger. During the half, Chris Pires (Kelowna) made a couple outstanding defensive plays by twice stripping the ball from a Fusion player who had gained a clear lane to the net. A TOFC free kick just to the left of the 18 yard box led to a close scoring chance when an ensuing shot hit the post. At 39 minutes, a Fusion player was given a red card and sent off the pitch after swearing at an official, yet it was Fusion who scored the next goal. It seemed that the visitors would lead 2 to nil at the end of the half, but TOFC’s increased offensive pressure led to a goal at the 47 minute mark when Walker Shanks (West Kelowna) set up Kristijan Holok (Kelowna) at the top of the eighteen yard box.

Two minutes into the second half, Nathan Persoon (Kelowna) made a great run down the left line and crossed the ball to his right wing counterpart Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) who unfortunately sliced the ball wide. In the second half, the TOFC boys struggled at times with possession and failed to win many 50/50 balls. With ten minutes to go in the game, the home side finally began to play with some urgency and were rewarded at the 89 minute mark when Nathan Persoon’s (Kelowna) hard laces strike from a free kick at 23 yards found the back of the net. The five minutes of injury time was full of mad scrambles and close chances by both sides, but neither team managed to score and the game ended in a draw.

May 4th – 5th 2013 Results

Team Report for: U13 Girls
Game Date: May 4th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Girls vs. VIW U13G
Final Score: TOFC 1 VIW 1

The TOFC U13 girls played to a 1-1 draw against the Vancouver Island Wave on the weekend. The TOFC girls conceded a goal off of a corner kick early in the first half, otherwise they controlled the play and the pace of the game, particularly in the second half. They were unable to capitalize on many quality scoring chances, however the only TOFC goal of the game came off of a spectacular play. With the TOFC girls pressing. Forward Britney Young (Penticton) connected with a bicycle kick that beat the keeper but rattled off the crossbar. Midfielder Grace Miller, reading the play well, was in the right place to bury the rebound into the back of the net. This was a strong game for the TOFC girls, and they will look to carry this into their game this weekend as they hit the road again to play Surrey United.


April 27th – 28th, 2013  Results

Team Report for: U14 Girls
Game Date: April 27th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Girls vs. Fusion FC U14G
Final Score: TOFC 2 Fusion FC5
On Saturday the girls took on Fusion FC and came up short with a 5-2 loss. Fusion scored two goals in the first half which were answered by two hard fought goals by Morgan Asling (Kelowna) and then Erica Lampert (Kelowna). The TOFC team struggled in the second half and gave up 3 unanswered goals to the Fusion team.

Game Date: April 28th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Girls vs. Mountain FC U14G
Final Score: TOFC 1 Mountain FC 0
The TOFC U14 girls had a successful weekend with their first win of the season in league play. On Sunday, the girls played a strong Mountain FC team and came out with a well-deserved 1-0 win. Sarah Dewar (Kelowna) scored in the 12th minute of the game with a strong left foot kick from 40 yards out. Goal keeper Caleb Pope (Coldstream) played an excellent game and preserved the shut-out with a fantastic save in the last play of the game. Captain Erica Lampert (Kelowna) played an exceptional game and motivated her team with her intensity and aggressiveness.

Team Report for: U13 Boys
Game Date: April 27th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Boys vs. Mountain U13B
Final Score: TOFC 0 Mountain 3
Two goals down in the first ten minutes of Saturday’s soccer game in Kelowna, it was going to be a battle to recover for the Thompson Okanagan boys. Vancouver’s Mountain, a solid opponent, passed and moved the ball well around the pitch. TOFC found it difficult to mount an effective offense.
Owen Miller of Vernon, captain of the Okanagan squad, delivered a stand-out performance for TOFC, covering, organizing his defence and trying to give some momentum to the attack.
Mountain retained possession in the second half, probing the TOFC defence. It was only a matter of time before the Vancouver team scored its third goal with a long ball which was not cleared and ultimately found the back of the net.

Team Report for: U13 Boys
Game Date: April 28th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Boys vs. Fusion U13B
Final Score: TOFC 1 Fusion 2
There was a strong performance by the Thompson Okanagan Football Club U13 boys against Vancouver’s Fusion team Sunday. Bad luck and two disallowed goals ultimately meant TOFC lost the match, a result not indicative of the play. Dominating the game for long periods, there were solid performances from Vernon’s Owen Miller, Kelowna’s Mitchell Sloan, and both Garrett Cruickshank and Adrian Schimmer of Penticton. As well, there were some outstanding saves by keeper Isaac Boehmer, also of Penticton.
The teams went into the second half tied at one goal apiece but some sloppy play led to a second goal for Fusion. TOFC attacked repeatedly but could not find the net again.

Team Report for: U14 Boys
Game Date: April 27th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Mountain FC U14B
Final Score: TOFC 0 Mountain 1
1st half
It was a blistery day at the pitch at game time which affected the play for both teams. When the ball was in flight it was unpredictable at times with large gusts of wind changing ball flight. Mountain carried most of the play for the first 15 minutes until TOFC kicked into gear and did the work defensively to change the game. Mountain hit the post about 17minutes in, however were not able to capitalize. The half ended at 0-0.
2nd half
Mountain hit the post early in the 2nd half and TOFC were able to clear it. At the 12 min mark Mountain had a free kick in the corner and TOFC’s Tatum Macaulay (Vernon) made the initial save, however on the rebound a Mountain player was able knock the ball in to go ahead 1-0. It was a hard fought intense game with many defensive battles. Both teams had chances to score throughout the remainder of the half, but the score remained 1-0 for Mountain. Tatum Macaulay made some great saves to keep TOFC in the game.

Team Report for: U14 Boys
Game Date: April 28th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Fusion FC U14B
Final Score: TOFC 3 Fusion 0
1st half
TOFC created some chances right from the get go with Grayson Perrier (Penticton) hitting the cross bar at about 3 minutes in. At the 6 minute mark Conner Glennon (Vernon) put a ball in the box from a corner kick in which Kamen Wimbleton (Kelowna) was able to side foot the ball into the back of the net. The play continued with a strong performance from the center midfielders winning more than their share of ball and the back line keeping Fusion from any dangerous attacks.
2nd half
The strong play for TOFC continued as they maintained the higher percentage of possession and Bill Yeomans (W. Kelowna) won some great tackles in the midfield to help with winning the ball back when Fusion tried to mount an attack. At the 56 min mark Ethan Beselt (W. Kelowna) was able to feed Jared Quibell (Vernon) putting him in a 1v1 situation against the Fusion goalie in which he was able to slip and score TOFC’s 2nd goal. A 3rd goal came when Conner Glennon crossed the ball in from the flank in which Ethan Beselt got on the ball to put it in the net. In the last minute of play, Fusion had a threatening shot high on the net, however Tatum Macaulay made a fantastic save by guiding the ball over the crossbar. The game ended 3-0 for TOFC.

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: April 27th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Mountain FC 95’s
Final Score: TOFC 4 Mountain United FC 5
1st half
The TOFC U 17/18 boys lost to the Mountain United FC U18 squad on Saturday in a high scoring, entertaining game at Kelowna’s Mission fields. Mountain scored first, 17 minutes into the half, after the TOFC keeper tackled an opposing player in the box. A penalty was awarded and Mountain went up 1 to nil. Mountain’s second goal came on a perfect free kick taken at 48 yards and headed into the net. Mountain went up by three late in the half when a player broke through the TOFC back line and went in alone.
2nd half
Going into the second half down three to nil against one of the league’s best team is challenging to say the least, but a glimmer of hope came at 51 minutes when the home side scored their first goal. Midfielder George Smalldridge (West Kelowna) delivered a brilliant through-ball to Nathan Persoon (Kelowna) whose run was dashed as he was hauled down just outside the box. On the ensuing free kick, Penticton’s Garrett Wiltse scored after a scramble in front of Mountain’s net. Hope was bolstered even more as the Mountain boy’s infraction resulted in a red card. Persoon then scored on a penalty kick that was awarded for a hand ball in the box and TOFC trailed 3 to 2. When a Mountain player received a second yellow card for a hard challenge and automatic red, the visiting team found themselves playing 2 men down. At 64 minutes, Persoon scored his second goal on a free kick and the game was tied 3 to 3. Persoon scored his third goal of the game at the 75 minute mark as TOFC took the lead 4 to 3 on a corner kick. But fortune was not on TOFC’s side and in the last 5 minutes of the game Mountain managed to score again and was awarded a penalty kick to win the game 5 to 4.

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: April 28th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Mountain United FC 96’s
Final Score: TOFC 4 Mountain United FC 5
1st half
The TOFC boys lost to the U17 Mountain United FC team on Sunday at Rutland. Although the home side had some chances to score, the half ended 2 to nil for the Burnaby-North Shore team. Play was even for the most part, but Mountain made no mistake on their chances.
2nd half
Four minutes into the second half, TOFC’s Nathan Persoon (Kelowna) scored on a penalty kick putting his team back into the game. Serbian-born striker Kristijan Holok (Kelowna) scored twice at 56 and 65 minutes giving his TOFC team the lead. His first goal went in on a perfect strike across the net while his second went in off a Mountain defender. Mountain then tied the game at 74 minutes and again took the lead at the 81 minute mark. But not to be outdone, at 86 minutes TOFC’s striker Lex Phillips (Oliver) powered through Mountain’s back line setting up Ayo Fashanu’s (Kelowna) powerful shot; the ball hit the cross-bar and landed in over the goal line. A minute later, with only three minutes to go in regulation time, Mountain managed to score the winning goal and the game ended 5 to 4.


April 20th – 21st, 2013  Results

Team Report for: U13 Girls
Game Date: April 21st, 2013 – Rutland Recreation Park
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Girls vs. Coastal FC U13G
Final Score: TOFC 3 Coastal 5

The TOFC U13 Girls played the Coastal squad on the weekend at the Rutland Fields. This was a fast-paced, intense match, with both teams setting up multiple attacks. The TOFC girls were strongest for the majority of the first half, moving to a 2-1 lead with goals from Arianne Turcotte (Kelowna). Coastal rallied at the end of the first half evening the score at 2-2, and then carried this momentum into the second half. The TOFC girls played hard right to the end whistle, with Arianne Turcotte adding a third goal. Coastal was able to set up and convert more chances however, winning the game with a final score of 5-3.

Pic 1 – Meghan McCafferty (Keeper – Penticton).
Pic 2 – Michaela Jacobsen (left – #7 West Kelowna), and Makenna Corston (Right – Salmon Arm)
Pic 3 – Paetyn Freeze (left – Kamloops), Emma Van Demark (right – Kelowna), Ainsley Grether (behind – Kamloops).

Team Report for: U16 Girls
Game Date: April 21st, 2013 – Rutland Recreation Park
Teams (Division): TOFC U16 Girls vs. Coastal FC U16G
Final Score: TOFC 1 Coastal 0

TOFC’s 97 Girls were looking to win back to back home games after last week’s win against Coquitlam Metro Ford. This time around they would entertain Coastal FC.
TOFC again made a positive start to the game and in the early stages of the game looked confident, the team which was more likely to break the deadlock. However with TOFC unable to find a breakthrough when well on top in the early stages Coastal FC began to settle and play into the game. From the 15 min mark, the match became hard fought and an evenly contested match with both defences working well to limit each other’s goal scoring opportunities to only half chances.
With the teams battling hard to get the valuable three points both sets of players began to tire in the latter stages and the game was getting stretched out. It was in these later stages that TOFC found some energy for a final assault on their opponents goal. They began to find some gaps in behind the Coastal defence resulting in a series of dangerous corners which caused the Coastal FC some trouble. Finally, in the closing stages TOFC made the breakthrough off another dangerous corner from Jaedyn Penkala (Kelowna) when Moraya Harrison ((Kamloops) pounced on a loose ball in the six yard box to score her 3rd goal in four games and the match winner with only minutes to play.
Another gritty performance and another valuable three points for the TOFC 97 Girls.
pics Moraya Harrison scoring the game winning goal
Jaedyn Penkala (left) and Nikki Manwarring (right)

‘photos by Kelvin Harrison’

Team Report for: U14 Boys
Game Date: April 20th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Coastal FC U14B
Final Score: TOFC 2 Coastal 1

1st half
Coastal opened the scoring with a goal nearly 4 minutes in, starting from ball movement down the flank with a cross that found its way into the net. TOFC tied the game a few minutes later; a soaring cross into the box from Alec Stewart (West Kelowna), let midfielder Bill Yeomans (West Kelowna) finish with a goal. TOFC came close again with a shot from Conner Glennon (Vernon) which bounced off the post and coastal was able to clear the danger.
2nd Half
TOFC dominated the play with numerous chances in the 2nd half and were rewarded with a goal when Conner Glennon moved the ball through the Coastal defense at the top of the box, fed the ball to Kamen Wimbleton (Kelowna) who the laid the ball off, and Bill Yeomans turned and nailed a solid laces drive into the net. Later on in the half, Glennon attacked down the right side of the field, flicked a ball with the back of his heel over to a lone Jarred Quibell (Vernon), but was unable to capitalize. About 27 minutes in to the second half Coastal was awarded a penalty which increased the excitement, however they were unsuccessful as their player put the ball over the net. The score ended 2-1 for TOFC but could have been much higher due to the many chances they had to score.

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: April 20th, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Coastal 95’s
Final Score: TOFC 4 Coastal 0

1st half
The TOFC boys notched a decisive 4 to nil win against Coastal FC 95’s at Vernon’s Macdonald Park on Saturday. The home side’s advantage of starting on the north side of the field -there is a noticeable north to south downward slope to the park’s turf- was nullified by a north bound wind. And both teams had to contend with long, wet grass which slowed the pace of the match. But conditions aside, the TOFC boys established their domination early and held possession for most of the game. Wingers Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) and Nathan Persoon (Kelowna) had outstanding games and set the command of their space with terrific runs down the line. An early run and cross by Fashanu looked promising as the Coastal keeper slipped on the wet grass, but a subsequent shot went wide. Minutes later, Persoon beat his mark down the line and crossed a high ball into the box where Fashanu’s shot hit the post. The rebound went to striker Cole Kingzett (Penticton), but he failed to hit the mark. TOFC opened the scoring at the twenty-five minute mark. Midfielder Matt Fielding (Kelowna) passed the ball to Cole Kingzett who chipped the ball to Fashanu who struck the ball past the keeper. TOFC’s second goal at thirty-seven minutes was a thing of beauty: TOFC keeper Mike Sexton (Kelowna) kicked the ball from his eighteen all the way to Coastal’s thirty and Nathan Persoon’s foot. Persoon neatly tapped the ball past a Coastal defender and made a clear run to score. And Persoon scored again with a minute to go in the first half making the best of a crisp pass from midfielder Tyler Shalansky (Kelowna); Persoon sailed past the defending full-back on his wing and went in alone to put his team up by three. Dhaamin Clarke (Kelowna) had a strong game in central mid.
2nd Half
In the second half, the wind was replaced by rain, but TOFC’s grasp of the game remained unchanged. Although Coastal did push back, TOFC had most of the scoring chances and the half’s only goal. At fifty one minutes, Cole Kingzett was taken down in the box as he was making an aggressive run toward the net. A penalty was a awarded, and Kingzett made no mistake. Persoon was denied a hat-trick when his free kick from the twenty-four yards just missed the top of the net. Near the end of the game, Kelowna’s Ben McDonald sent a laser beam across the goal mouth, but Kingzett’s header went over the top. Overall, the boys were calm and confident in a well-deserved win.

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: April 21st, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Coastal 96’s
Final Score: TOFC 0 Coastal 1

1st half
The TOFC U17/18 boys lost to Coastal FC U17 on Sunday afternoon in Rutland. The only goal of the game came at the twenty-seven minute mark when a Coastal player turned and shot from just outside the box. TOFC generated some chances in half, but failed to score. Unlike their play on Saturday against the older Coastal team, the TOFC boys were missing the easy plays and scrambled to keep possession.
2nd Half
In the second half the TOFC boys tried to simplify their game by making the short, smart passes and keeping more possession of the ball. However, they were unable to build on their possession. Too much delayed ball movement and …Half way through the half, winger Kristijan Holok (Kelowna) did manage to take the ball into the corner a couple of times and make a well-placed cross into the box, but his team mates failed to finish. The last ten minutes of the game saw the home side step up their intensity, but it was the story of too little too late and although they were able to create some good scoring chances they simply ran out of time.

April 14, 2013  Results

U16 Girls
Teams: TOFC U16 Girls vs. Coquitlam Metro Ford U16G
Final Score: TOFC 2 CMF 1
Scoring Highlights:
First Half:
TOFC’s opening home game of the season was against a Coquitlam Metro Ford team which was sitting second in the league at kick-off time.
TOFC made a positive start to the game and carved out an early lead from an opportunist strike from Moraya Harrison (Kamloops) who capitalized on some hesitant defending by CMF to steal the ball and slip a first time strike past the out coming CMF goalkeeper from the top of the box.
This early strike settled TOFC who were moving the ball very well without being troubled too much by their opponents. With TOFC certainly having the upper hand in the first half it was important that they make the most of their territorial advantage and with the half entering the closing stages Erin Graham (Kelowna) scored an important second goal when she lofted the ball past the goalkeeper from the edge of the box.
Second Half:                         
TOFC buoyed after what was an excellent first half performance began the second half well and in the opening stages looked the more dangerous of the two teams. However at (54) minutes TOFC conceded an unfortunate goal which gave the visiting CMF team a lift and they began pressing hard for a portion of the second half.
Despite increased pressure and activity in and around the TOFC area in the second half, a well marshalled defence and the team overall were determined not to give up an equalizing goal. They limited the CMF team to only half chances and indeed could have added another goal themselves when they went close with a couple of chances created on the counter attack as the game drew to a close.
A great result, a hard fought win and a valuable three points.

April 13, 2013

U17/18 Boys
Teams: TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Coquitlam Metro Ford 95’s
Final Score: TOFC 2 CMF 4
Scoring Highlights:
First Half:
The TOFC U17/18 boys faced the league’s top team on Saturday at the Mission Fields in Kelowna. With eight wins and zero losses this season, the Coquitlam Metro Ford 95’s are a formidable opponent and their aggressive start to the match was no surprise. But after a tough loss last weekend, the TOFC boys showed that they were mentally prepared to compete: Thompson-Okanagan scored an early goal at the 4 minute mark when centre-back Chris Pires (Kelowna) played a through-ball to winger Nathan Persoon (Kelowna). Persoon then played the ball into the box and after a bit of a scramble Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) put the ball in the net. Both teams maintained a fast-paced tempo throughout the half and both teams created scoring chances. It was, however, Coquitlam who scored the game’s next two goals, the first cashing in on a TOFC miscue and the second from a well-positioned free kick. The half ended 2- 1 for the visiting side.
Second Half:
In the second half, the TOFC boys came out strong, demonstrating their desire to compete. The tempo of the game remained high and both sides created offensive pressure and chances, but defensive breakdowns by the home side led to Coquitlam goals at 60 and 62 minutes. The question was: would trailing by three goals against the league’s best team usher in a mindset of defeat? The answer: no! TOFC stepped up their game and tenaciously attacked their adversaries. At 68 minutes, midfielder George Smalldridge (West Kelowna) hit the cross-bar after receiving a great through-ball from fellow midfielder Matt Fielding (Kelowna), who incidentally had an outstanding game. And moments later, Ayo Fashanu showed true grit and determination as he stripped the ball from his mark and got it through to striker Cole Kingzett (Penticton) who just failed to beat the keeper. With ten minutes left in the game, TOFC forced three corner kicks, scoring on the third; Fashanu’s corner-cross was cleared by Coquitlam to Tyler Shalansky (Kelowna) at the top of the box. Shalansky kicked the ball back into the mix and the ball was headed into the net by Kelowna’s Ben McDonald. The score ended 4-2 for the visitors, but the home team should be proud of their play.

April 14, 2013

U17/18 Boys
Teams: TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Coquitlam Metro Ford 96’s
Final Score: TOFC 0 CMF 2
Scoring Highlights:
First Half:
The TOFC U17/18 boys lost to Coquitlam Metro Ford 96’s on Sunday on a rain soaked turf in Rutland. The game had a rough, chippy and chirpy edge to it. Coquitlam scored the first goal at the 23rd minute mark. TOFC had their chances to tie the game; Matt Fielding (Kelowna), George Smalldridge (West Kelowna), and Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) twice combined to create scoring opportunities. The half ended 1-nil for Coquitlam.
Second Half:
The rough play continued into the second half. The TOFC boys struggled with their first touch, and consequently possession, as their passes were off the mark. Coquitlam scored a fortunate second goal at 62 minutes when a shot went in off the post. TOFC did push back a few minutes later creating scoring chances, the best when Matt Fielding hit the post after a terrific build-up. TOFC almost scored when Cole Kingzett (Penticton) swerved a beautiful ball to Lex Phillips (Oliver) who ran on to the net unobstructed, but ran out of room just as the keeper intercepted the ball at the goal line. The game ended 2-0 for the visitors.

April 6, 2013

U17/18 Boys
Teams: TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Surrey United  U18
Final Score: TOFC 2 Surrey United 3
Scoring Highlights:
First Half:
The TOFC  U17/18 boys lost a heartbreaker to Surrey United on Saturday at UBCO.  Although the home side’s play was unsettled at the beginning of the game, their passes were off the mark and they seemed to be fighting the ball,  strong defensive play by centre-back Chris Pires (Kelowna) thwarted many Surrey chances. TOFC might have scored two early goals as Nathan Persoon (Kelowna) and Ayo Fashanu (Kelowna) both broke through Surrey’s line, but they were both offside by a yard or two.  TOFC did open the scoring at thirteen minutes. Midfielder George Smalldridge (West Kelowna) played a great through-ball to striker Cole Kingzett (Penticton) whose subsequent cross led to a corner kick. Kingzett headed Persoon’s corner cross into the net and TOFC led 1 to nil. United came on in play in the last fifteen minutes of the first half, whereas the TOFC boys struggled to keep control and possession of the ball. United were rewarded with a goal at the thirty five minute mark. Then, two minutes later, winger Persoon passed the ball down the line to Kingzett who made an effortless turn, a fast-paced run, and perfect shot to put his team ahead. The half ended with TOFC keeper Mike Sexton (Kelowna) making a goal-line diving save to keep the score 2-1.

Second Half:
Surrey’s aggressive play at the start of the second half almost led to a tying goal in the first minute.  Hitting a cross bar and two great saves by Mike Sexton seven minutes into the half might have put Surrey ahead. Then TOFC had their chances to score as Cole Kingzett just missed on two clear shots in close. Midfielder Tyler Shalansky (Kelowna), who was subbed on in the second half, had a solid game.  Keeper Mike Sexton was shaken up when he was run over by a Surrey player as he challenged for the ball. No card was given.  A minute later, Surrey scored to tie the game.  Two minutes into extra time, a red card was given for a hand ball in the TOFC box and Surrey scored to win the game on a penalty kick. The TOFC boys showed some spurts of strong soccer, but will have to re-group and show more mental strength next weekend when they play two more home games.

BOYS: MARCH 29-31, 2013

U13 Boys
Friday 29th      TOFC Versus Edmonton   0-1
A tight first half of play against a very skillful team who moved the ball well.  In the second half, a bad defensive mistake allowed the opposition to score the only goal.  TOFC worked hard throughout the game.  Keeper Evan Scholes (Kelowna) and the defense had a good game.  Unfortunately, although the team played well, they could not capitalize on their opportunities.

Friday 29th      TOFC Versus Mountain   0-3
In their 2nd game, TOFC  took on a very fit and skillful Mountain team.   The TOFC defense and keeper Boehmer kept them at bay.  Fatigue was a factor.  In the end, Mountain scored three goals against a tired TOFC.

Saturday 30th      TOFC Versus Coastal   1-2
Coastal played hard creating several chances in the first half.  A TOFC defensive error allowed one goal on a rebound.  The second half had TOFC competing better and moving the ball.   A penalty was awarded to TOFC and Mitch Morgan (Winfield) was able to find the back of the net.  There just wasn’t time enough to score an equalizer.

Sunday 31st      TOFC Versus Vancouver Island Wave   1-1
The first twenty minutes, possession was fairly even.  TOFC was creating chances around the VIW box but unable to score.   In the last few minutes of the half, VIW took control and scored.
The second half saw some subtle tactical changes by the head coach resulting in TOFC playing their best game of the tournament .   Scoring late in the game, they just ran out of time to create the opportunity for the win, which, based on their level of play, was sure to happen.  The team worked very hard.   The passing was a pleasure to watch.

U15 Boys 
Friday 29, March 2013
Calgary South West United vs TOFC U-15 Boys
Result: CSWU 2 : 2 TOFC
The TOFC U15 Boys took to the road this past weekend to compete in the Whitecaps Showcase tournament. TOFC met Calgary SWU on Friday afternoon in the first game of the round robin tournament.The TOFC crew came out strong creating several scoring opportunities early in the first half with Vernon’s Nick Klymchyk and Kamloops’ Zac Rachynski coming close on a couple of occasions. Cawston’s Jetson Gibbs opened the scoring on a brilliant solo effort when he picked up the ball about thirty yards out from goal an lobbed  the ball over the Calgary keeper giving TOFC the lead. Ten minutes later Gibbs scored his second of the game when he picked up a loose ball after some great pressure by his fellow teammates and ripped a shot from twenty yards out past the outstretched SWU goalkeeper. Ten minutes into the second half Gibbs had a chance to score a natural hat trick when Rachynski was brought down in the box after a great through ball and was awarded a penalty. The SWU keeper guessed the right way making a great save. Calgary scored a nice goal that left guest Kelowna goalkeeper Carson Murray little chance to save bringing the score to 2-1. The rest of the second half was a seesaw battle with both teams getting  good posession. With a minute left to play a Calgary player was brought down 22 yards from goal by a TOFC defender. SWU scored on the direct free kick placing an accurate shot over the wall and just inside the post to tie the game.”It was dissapointing to give up a goal that late in the game but we lost our focus for a minute or so and were punished for it. We have spent a great deal  of time working on staying switched on for the whole game. I really felt sorry for the players as it was the best game they have played up to now and they deserved the win” lamented TOFC coach Wayne Aasen.

Saturday 30 March 2013
Magnuson Ford [Abbotsford] vs TOFC U-15 Boys
Result: Abbotsford 5 : 2 TOFC
This game was scheduled to count as both a Showcase game and as a BCSPL league game. This required TOFC to change their squad arrangements to facilitate suspensions and personnel short-falls. A slightly depleted TOFC team took the field to face Abbotsford.

TOFC came out flat and never really got their offensive side of their game going. Magnusson was technically superior and created several scoring opportunities that they capitalized on five times times without a reply from the Blues. Goalkeeper Carl Vandekraats called up from the U14 boys team had a great game making several quality saves despite a lack of support from the U15 team in front of him. With ten minutes to go the TOFC coaching staff put Kelowna’s Peter Warshawski up front. Within two minutes he scored his first goal as promised after using his size and explosive speed to his advantage out muscled the two Magnusson center backs, sliding a cool finish under the keeper. Three minutes later Warshawski scored his second on a similar run this time tucking a tidy finish inside the far post.

TOFC U-15 Boys vs Coquitlam
Result: TOFC 1 : 1 Coquitlam
The late afternoon game saw TOFC take on BCSPL undefeated Metro Ford Spartans in a round robin game.The Blues came ourt firing on all cylinders putting the Spartans under pressure immediately with Warshawski leading the charge. “We gave the boys a real roasting in the change room before the game with regards to our lack of focus and comittment in the morning game. Their response was phenomenal” praised Aasen. It was by far the best I have seen them play.” Metro Ford took the lead at the 28 minute mark after the TOFC defense could not clear the ball from their penalty area when a shot found its way through a sea of Blue. Midway through the second half TOFC midfielder Justis Jelasco (Wesbank) knocked a lovely flat corner into the opposition penalty are where is was met by Harminder Padda (Kamloops) who placed a thumping header just under the crossbar tieing the game.”Padda was a rock for us all weekend pairing with Penticton’s Magnus Morhart at the center of defense. He is improving every game and was definitely our MVP.” stated Aasen.

Sunday 31 March 2013
TOFC U-15 Boys vs Magnuson Ford [Abbotsford]
Result: TOFC U-15 Boys 0 : 0 Abbotsford
In the final game of the Showcase, TOFC were once again matched against Abbotsford.
The game was played back and forth with most of the play changing hands in the midfield. Both teams had several good scoring opportunities that went missing. The way TOFC setup gave Kelowna’s Morgan Small plenty of the ball and Magnusson plenty of headaches but in the end TOFC were unable to convert possession into goals and the game ended 0-0. TOFC U16 Goalkeeper Carson Murray (Kelowna) was solid in the three tournament games provivding a calming affect on the younger players in front of him.

March 29th – 31st
U13 Girls Win Gold!
The U13 Girls played in a very tough division that included the Kamloops U13 A team (playing U14 TOYSL), and the Kamloops U14 B team (playing U15 TOYSL). TOFC looked great, and improved every game. TOFC had a short bench with some injuries, and was helped by Kelowna United U13 girls call-ups Deziree Day and Ashley Kimler who both played very well. TOFC lost their opening game 3-2 to the Kamloops U14 A team, then went on to win their remaining two pool games against KU U14 (3-1), and Kamloops U13 A team (4-0). This lead to a re-match with the Kamloops U14 team for the gold medal, with TOFC avenging their earlier loss and winning with a score of 2-0. More pictures from the tournament are available here.  (pics courtesy of Scott Jacobsen)


Weekend Scores – March 16th/17th

Team Report for: U13 Girls
Game Date: March 17, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Girls vs. Vancouver Island Wave U13 Girls
Final Score: TOFC 0    Vancouver Island Wave 1
The TOFC girls played very well against the VIW squad.  TOFC carried most of the play and maintained more than their share of possession. Unfortunately, they were unable to capitalize on a few good scoring opportunities.
(Thank you to Scott Jacobsen for the great pics!)


















































































































Team Report for: U14 Boys
Game Date: March 16, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Vancouver Island Wave U14 Boys
Final Score: TOFC 0   Vancouver Island Wave 1

First Half:
TOFC Started slow but managed to win a free kick on the edge of the Wave box. Connor Glennon (Vernon) hit the ball hard and low to Kamen Wimbleton (Kelowna) whose shot was spilled by the keeper to Jared Quibell (Vernon).  His attempt was saved.
Vancouver island responded quickly and on a breakaway had a clear shot on goal.  Alec Stewart (West Kelowna) pulled off a heroic sliding clearance on the line to keep the score 0-0.

Second Half:
After the break TOFC applied more pressure and won an early corner.  Mees Geelkerken (Vernon) and Connor Glennon (Vernon) played a short pass. Connor used some impressive skill to slip around the Wave defense and cross the ball into a crowd of players where it bounced around after a number of teammates failed to connect.  Sam McDonald (Kelowna) stepped forward.  His shot was fired against the post. Nic Banmen (Kelowna) worked hard in the TOFC midfield, stopping numerous Wave attacks. On a breakaway Vancouver brought down Sam McDonald in his own box.  While the players were calling for a foul, the referee gave a penalty for an accidental handball. Carl Vandekraats was unable to save the shot.  TOFC 0-1 Vancouver Island Wave.


Weekend Scores – March 9th/10th

    Saturday, March 9th, 2013     Sunday, March 10th, 2013
TOFC Boys vs Mountain FC results  TOFC Girls vs Mountain FC results
U13 0-0 draw U13 5-1 loss
U14 2-0 win U14 3-1 loss
U15 6-0 loss U16 7-0 loss
U17/18 4-1 loss

Game Reports

March 9th and 10th

Team Report for: U13 Boys
Game Date: March 9, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U13 Boys vs. Mountain U13 Boys
Final Score: TOFC 0  Mountain 0
First Half:
Following the first few minutes, the game settled down quite evenly. TOFC had an early corner and free kick without success. A battle then followed in midfield with the two sides evenly matched.  A free kick from Mountain resulted in an excellent save by keeper Evan Scholes (Kelowna) who played well throughout the game.
TOFC moved the ball quickly but were unable to get a shot on goal.  The defence, led by Ryan Hoogveld (West Kelowna) and Owen Miller with support from Easton Kinikin (Kelowna), Garrett Cruickshank (Penticton) and Mitch Sloan (Kelowna), dealt with the Mountain attacks and quickly countered with some well-executed moves.
Adrian Schimmer (Penticton) came off midway through the first half with a leg injury and was replaced by Connor Yendley (Kelowna) who immediately struck-up a good understanding with Matt Barcelona (Kelowna) in midfield. Meantime Mitch Morgan (Winfield) and John Forbes battled hard, playing well together as twin strikers.
The last ten minutes of the first half saw Mountain attack strongly but the TOFC defence held firm.

Second Half:
The second half saw more attacking from TOFC. A shot by Mitch Morgan went over the crossbar and a few corners didn’t produce any clear shots on Mountain’s goal.  Again the game was up and down, with both teams working hard to create an opening. Both of the TOFC strikers were causing the Mountain defence some problems with their movement and pace but couldn’t find a clear shot on target.

The last fifteen minutes saw Mountain put a lot of pressure on the TOFC goal but good defence and goalkeeping kept the game scoreless to the end.

Team Report for: U14 Boys
Game Date: March 9, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Boys vs. Mountain FC U14 Boys
Final Score: TOFC 2  Mountain 0

First Half:
The TOFC U14 Boys were successful in their first match of the regular season this past weekend at the Coast.  After a sluggish start and a quick change in formation TOFC found their rhythm and began to pass the ball with greater effect. Kamen Wimbleton (Kelowna) picked up the ball in midfield and played a lofted pass over the heads of the Mountain defense where Connor Glennon (Vernon) chipped the keeper scoring the first of the season.
Taitum  MacAulay (Vernon) gave a solid performance in the TOFC net and pulled off a brilliant low save to keep the game 0-1 at the end of the first half.

Second Half:
Mitch Morgan (Winfield) was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty after being brought down in the Mountain box. That did not stop the TOFC squad.  Nic Banmen (Kelowna) played a perfectly weighted pass to Connor Glennon (Vernon) who showed good skills to take it around the keeper and score his second of the game. Final score 2-0 for TOFC.
Star Men:  Connor Glennon, Sem Kampman, Nicolas Banmen

Team Report for: U17/18 Boys
Game Date: March 9, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U17/18 Boys vs. Mountain U18 Boys
Final Score: TOFC 1  Mountain 4
First Half:
The TOFC U17/18 boys played their first match of the 2013 season at West Vancouver’s Ambleside on Saturday against Mountain FC’s U18 boys. In first fifteen minutes, Mountain held most of the possession and might have scored several times, but a goal line save from full-back Sam Bowers (Lake Country) and two high-light  reel saves by keeper Mike Sexton (Kelowna) kept the score nil, nil. Mountain finally scored at the twenty third minute mark from a hard shot from inside the eighteen yard box. However, the TOFC boys pushed back and were rewarded five minutes later. Pressure from Walker Shanks (West Kelowna) and Cole Kingzett (Penticton) created TOFC’s first corner kick. From the corner cross, striker George Smalldridge (West Kelowna) volleyed the ball hard into the back of the net. But, then it was Mountain’s turn to push back, and they scored their second and third goals at the thirty second and thirty seventh minute mark. The first half ended with the score of 3 to 1 for the home team.
Second Half:
In the second half, the TOFC boys continued their strong work ethic, but failed to hold possession in the offensive third of the field. Although their first touch was adequate, their second touch was lacking, and their passing was often off the mark. Ten minutes into the half, Mountain was awarded a penalty kick after their striker was taken down as he made a strong run through the box. Throughout the game, centre-back Chris Pires (Kelowna) showed strong defensive play. While the game ended 4 to 1 for Mountain, the TOFC boys should be encouraged by the fact that they played relatively well in their first away match against a highly skilled side.

Team Report for: U14 Girls
Game Date: March 10, 2013
Teams (Division): TOFC U14 Girls vs. Mountain FC U14 Girls
Final Score: TOFC 1  Mountain FC 3
TOFC U14 girls put forth their best effort to date this past weekend but fell short of a much wanted win.  TOFC’s Hailey Tomlin (Kelowna) scored the first goal of the game early in the second half.  Mountain replied with three goals late in the game to finish with the win.  TOFC fought hard for 50 minutes of soccer but struggled to maintain the intensity through 70 minutes.  Personal best games were played by Morgan Asling, Courtney Donaldson, Kendra Corman (all from Kelowna) and Tasia Chuhaniuk (Winfield).